[systemd-devel] Running packagekitd on shutdown

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 01:08:27 PDT 2011

On 08/24/2011 01:55 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> So, we want to make clear that any kind of solution that does not use a
> proper recovery partition is merely a stop gap in our eyes.

Agreed the way forward is recovery partition which get's created at
install time and should be an opt out option in the installer ( or opt in )
however recovery partition is not enough.

For upgrades/updates we should be looking at solaris and it's boot
environment and live upgrades[1],[2].(  I would not be surprised if
Apple did just that )

For desktop applications we need something like [3] along with Time
machine + btrfs support as  and I personally would say drop the hack
Lennart suggested to meet your needs and go straight for the
recovery/upgrades/updates partition/snapshot implementation in systemd,
tools and desktop applications.
( Go get it right from the start instead of implementing something that
kinda works but actually does not )

Just my 2 cents.

JBG

1.http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Troubleshooting_Guide#Solaris_Live_Upgrade_Migration_Scenarios
2.http://www.filibeto.org/sun/lib/solaris10-docs/E19253-01/821-1910/6nms46fkb/index.html
3.http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433 ( Looks like just some livecd/usb
creation app Gnome needs a well integrated livecd/usb creation app other
DE probably too  )