[systemd-devel] Running packagekitd on shutdown

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 04:44:07 PDT 2011

On 08/24/2011 08:32 AM, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Hmm, with the initramfs moving in the direction of being able to mount /usr, we
> could extend it to mount the rest as well. We can see the initramfs as_the_
> rescue environment, which could do the upgrade as well, without the need of
> doing a reboot afterwards.

I should mention catch 22 when using snapshot(s) for live
update/upgrading to bear in mind when architect/engineering a future
solution for this, that is any changes that needs to be kept persistent
across live upgrade/update cannot be on the same volume that is being
snapshot for the live update/upgrade process.

Let's say for example that you perform an live upgrade/update on /var
and you are running database server such as postgresql or mysql which in
Fedora defaults to be stored on /var and for some reason the
upgrade/update fails and you need to boot into the pre upgrade/update
snapshot you will have lost all the database transaction that happen in
between or any changes you made to a configuration file(s) in /etc etc..

There is always a catch 22 :)

JBG