[systemd-devel] Fwd: systemd: wait for shutdown-service to complete

Mads Kiilerich mads at kiilerich.com
Fri Dec 16 06:29:39 PST 2011

On 12/16/2011 01:41 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> there must be some bug in Fedora 15 systemd
> "systectl start/stop vmware-default.service" works perfectly
>
> but at shutdown systemd will not wait until it is finished
> before the sysv-service "vmware-service" is terminated
> what results in hard-powered-off guests and fschecks in most
> guests starting the host the next time :-(

Agreed, I noticed something similar as reported in
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2011-November/003963.html
. (Nobody responded - I don't know if the problem was too hard or too
stupid.)

As far as I can see my problem is that shutdown.target and umount.target
are started in parallel and that the file systems thus might be
unmounted before the services and targets that conflicts / "befores"
shutdown.target has been able to run / shutdown cleanly and save state
to the mounted file systems.

(I would however expect that vmware had open file handles and thus would
prevent umount ...)

/Mads