[systemd-devel] Using inotify for reloading configuration changes

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Wed Dec 14 13:28:08 PST 2011

A recent commit [1] combined with my company's configuration management
work made me think of a neat facility systemd might add: auto-reload on
changes to files matching a glob in the unit/service file.

Specifically, it would be great to see configuration like the following:

AutoReloadOnUpdate=/etc/tomcat6/server.xml
AutoReloadDelay=5

Any files/globs specified in AutoReloadOnUpdate would cause systemd to
register inotify listeners for events on those files that result in
reloading the corresponding service.

I could also imagine a systemctl command to suspend/resume auto-reloads
for all or specific units. (And, if the service is not auto-reloading,
be able to list services that haven't reloaded configuration: systemctl
--needs-reload)

I'd normally post this sort of idea to the bug tracker, but I wanted to
get feedback here to see if anyone has any improvements or a recommended
alternative approach to auto-updating services on configuration changes.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/commit/?id=3a11183858af30bc9b4e9dac430dd7541deec19b