[systemd-devel] stopping timed out. Killing ?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Dec 22 04:52:51 PST 2011

On 22.12.2011 13:21, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
>> systemctl show -p Type myproxy-server.service
>>
> Yes, the type defaults to simple, if is defined erroneously.
> A warning is printed to logs:
>
> systemd[1]: [/etc/systemd/system/testforking2.service:4] Failed to parse service type, ignoring: fork
>
> $ systemctl show -p Type testforking2.service
> Type=simple
>
> The manpage says: "If systemd encounters an unknown option it will write
> a warning log message but continue loading the unit."
> I guess that this also means "an invalid value of an option", but this
> is not obvious. And sometimes could be dangerous: e.g. if systemd ignores options
> like User= or RootDirectory=, if set to something invalid.

generally it is a better behavior to stop with invalid configurations
instead guess how can be prcedded anywhere, you have UNDEFINED
behavior in such cases and process 1 should NOT do so

fact is that messages most time are ignored / not seen by many
maintainers which is my only explanation for messages like
this "[/etc/rc.d/init.d/asterisk:9] PID file not absolute. Ignoring."

if systemd would refuse to start in such cases and write a clear
message on stdout some maintainers would do their jobs better
or would be replaced be someone who does