[systemd-devel] parallel fsck vs progressbar

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Thu Feb 17 04:46:26 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 01:11:36AM +0100, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> Hmm, I am kinda keen on keeping the fsck output also in syslog, hence
> just switching the output from syslog to tty is not ideal. Maybe we
> should add a mechanism so that we can output things to syslog and
> console at the same time. (i added this now to the todo list)

I just saw you implemented it. ;)

> Another option could be to use -C <fd> to direct the normal output of
> fsck to syslog, but the progress bar to the console.

The problem is that -C itself prints the nice progressbar, while -C2 (so
we could save stdout to log and have stderr on console only) prints out
progressbar info which is suitable in case you want to parse it from a
GUI.

> I guess the combination of -C <fd> to direct the progress bar to the
> console plus StandardOutput=syslog+console would be pretty good. the
> progress bar makes no sense in the logs anyway.

Sure.

So - do you have a better idea than poking the e2fsprogs guys to add a
new switch (or env var, etc.) that will turn the progressbar on fd != 0
to something user-friendly?