[systemd-devel] systemd --test still tries to execute quite some actions and fails

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 18 03:44:38 PST 2011

On Fri, 18.02.11 14:38, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> >> Failed to allocate manager object: No such file or directory
> >
> > The only real problem here is the last line, the rest is ignored.
>
> No. The real problem is that it tries to do all of this. Fortunately
> it is not permitted if running as non-root.

Yupp, and we rely on that.

> Failed to allocate manager object: No such file or directory
> [bor at n2 ~]$

Hmm, my guess is that this has something to do with the lacking autofs4
support. Unfortunately the log messages don't give us a hint what is
going on. May I ask you to gdb through manager_new and check which of
the operations it does actually fails?

> > Well, I didn't want to clutter the sources with too many "if
> > (!in_test_mode)  { ... }", so I simply rely on the kernel refusing these
> > operations.
>
> Well ... I naively thought that "computing dependency" is pretty much
> self consistent operation that can be executed right away as soon as
> we see --test option ...

It does substantially more. It also parses the other config files, which
I thought was a good thing and I use this myself for testing.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.