[systemd-devel] how disable fsck on swap+lvm

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Feb 18 05:28:08 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> Well, maybe syncing it to local-fs is not necessary, but we probably
> want to sync it to basic.target at least. Mounts are not the only users
> of block devices, so a later service might want to use it and hence we
> should make sure that normal services (which are started after
> basic.target) can rely that LVM stuff is set up. Some database servers
> are able to use block devices directly, without any FS on them.
>
>> I have the same question about the different fsck services. They
>> should clearly be Before=*.mount, but wouldn't it be better if they
>> were not Before=local-fs.service?
>
> You have a point there. I have now relaxed this to base.target. (Just to
> avoid confusion by stuff like udisks and other disk daemon software,
> which we might not want to start at a time where the fsck is still going on).

Regarding syncing things with base.target:

I agree that this is a good idea for the time being, to avoid a flood of bugs.

However, in the long term would it not be better to avoid syncing
stuff (like udev-settle.service, lvm.service, etc.) with base.target?

If services cannot deal with this then 1) they are buggy as they would
not be able to deal with devices being plugged/appearing after boot,
so they should be fixed 2) in the interim they should get
After=lvm.service (or whatever they rely on) to make it work like
before and also make it clear that they are buggy.

My apologies for going a bit off-topic...

Cheers,

Tom

PS
Sorry to Lennart for sending twice, I forgot to cc the ML