[systemd-devel] systemd "hangs" for several minutes on shutdown if it gets "service force-reload" request

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 6 18:33:45 PST 2011

On Wed, 01.12.10 22:55, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> In Mandriva we are using {ifup,ifdown}.d script for callouts. One
> package install script that - in both cases - does "service vnstat
> force-reload". During shutdown it is causing interesting effect - this
> request hangs which causing network service (that indirectly calls it)
> to hang as well and be finally killed:

[...]

> What I wonder in this case, why vnstat.service/reload appears to hang
> in this case? The job itself fails during startup (initscript is
> disabled, so it gets indirect request from ifup and does nothing):

Does this probelm still exist?

Most likely this is simply an ordering deadlock: systemd executes
something that asks systemd to execute something else which however is
order after the first unit. That is is not really fixable. At least I am
have no idea what we could do about this.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.