[systemd-devel] Errors mounting vbox shares

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 19:01:13 PST 2011

I have the following line in /etc/fstab inside my VirtualBox test system:

vboxshare /share vboxsf noauto 0 0

vboxshare is a shared folder between my host and guest system which I
use for data exchange.
It requires the vboxsf kernel module to be loaded.

Running mount /share after login works perfectly.
If I switch noauto to auto, I get the following during boot:

/sbin/mount.vboxsf: invalid option -- 'f'
Usage: /sbin/mount.vboxsf [OPTIONS] NAME MOUNTPOINT
Mount the VirtualBox shared folder NAME from the host system to MOUNTPOINT.

  -w                    mount the shared folder writably (the default)
  -r                    mount the shared folder read-only
  -n                    do not create an mtab entry
  -o OPTION[,OPTION...] use the mount options specified

Available mount options are:
     rw                 mount writably (the default)
     ro                 mount read only
     uid=UID            set the default file owner user id to UID
     gid=GID            set the default file owner group id to GID
     ttl=TTL            set the "time to live" to TID for the dentry
     dmode=MODE         override the mode of all directories to (octal) MODE
     fmode=MODE         override the mode of all regular files to (octal) MODE
     umask=UMASK        set the umask to (octal) UMASK
     dmask=UMASK        set the umask applied to directories only
     fmask=UMASK        set the umask applied to regular files only
     iocharset CHARSET  use the character set CHARSET for I/O operations
                        (default set is utf8)
     convertcp CHARSET  convert the folder name from CHARSET to utf8

Less common used options:
     noexec,exec,nodev,dev,nosuid,suid

The share is mounted after the boot, though.

I don't get this error message when booting with sysinit+the legacy
sysv fsck/mount init scripts.

What's going wrong here? Is mount.vboxsf to blame or systemd?

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?