[systemd-devel] Problem with LVM

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 17 13:39:48 PST 2011

On Sun, 16.01.11 03:29, Miklos Vajna (vmiklos at frugalware.org) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to test LVM when using systemd, but it seems something
> essential is missing on my test box.
>
> Here is what I tried:
>
> Our sysv lvm init script provides an LSB header, so it gets executed
> early on boot and executes 'vgchange -a y'. That makes /dev/myvg/mylv
> available at the time systemd tries to fsck + mount /lvm (mount point)
> based on fstab. Given that /dev/myvg/mylv is a symlink, (I think)
> systemd does not realise the device is plugged, so after a timeout it
> prints:
>
> Starting /lvm failed.
> Starting File System Check on /dev/myvg/mylv failed.
>
> Based on 'systemctl --full |grep device' output, a workaround may be to
> use /dev/dm-0 in fstab, but that's obviously not something I would like
> to do, since that's not persistent.

Older LVM versions used to create device nodes and symlinks to them on
their own instead of leaving that to udev (nobody should do that: /dev
is udev's territory and nobody else's). The effect of that is udev's
database doesn't know about it and hence systemd does neither.

This has been fixed a while back on Fedora, and I presume upstream too
(given that RH is upstream for LVM). So my guess is that you simply need
to update your LVM userspace and things should start to work.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.