[systemd-devel] hwclock

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Jan 24 16:45:27 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 22:31, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:

> I think using env vars for timezone configuration is not a good idea,
> and if used should be used exclusively to override system configuration
> per-user. I don't think it should be used on the system level and the
> hwclock logic we have in there.

Right, like many unix-style-inherited setting in the environment --
they are evil. Today, unlike 1970, stuff changes at any time, at any
frequency, and there is no sane way to propagate such changes to the
environment. We should absolutely avoid it using that for any volatile
values in all long running processes.

Kay