[systemd-devel] Mounting /dev/pts

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 24 19:42:10 PST 2011

On Sat, 22.01.11 20:35, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:

> > I guess Wulf's point isn't, that options in /etc/fstab are not applied
> > but rather that systemd should mount /dev/pts with those options.
>
> I would very much prefer systemd to respect .mount unit also for API
> filesystems - or is it already the case? This would allow distro to
> supply proper options without need to change existing setup for
> non-systemd case (i.e. mounting /dev/pts in boot script with fixed
> options).

Currently you can only apply options to API vfs via fstab entries, not
via native systmd unit files, since systemd will refuse to instantiate
units for these API vfs mount points, since it considers them special.

It probably makes sense to allow administrators change mount options for
these API vfs in some cases though (for example, to allow changing the
max size of the tmpfs), so I added to the todo list now and item so hat
I don't forget adding this eventually. Not sure how exactly this will be
looking like though.

That said, I do wonder what kind of options you are thinking of here. It
is definitely our intention to get all distros to use the same options
for the api vfs. If we do allow changing these options then this should
be something for the admins, not for the distributors. So, what exactly
do you have in mind?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.