[systemd-devel] systemd, ConsoleKit and vte

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jul 1 16:36:25 PDT 2011

On Thu, 23.06.11 01:02, Christian Persch (chpe at gnome.org) wrote:

> Hi;
>
> Since systemd is going to subsume ConsoleKit and manage the user
> session, I was wondering if it would be a good idea for this new systemd
> session daemon to also take over the task of gnome-pty-helper?
>
> gnome-pty-helper[0] is a session daemon that the vte library uses to
> open a PTY and write a lastlog/utmp/wtmp record for it.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea actually. I have now added this to the
TODO list. That said, I wonder if for the sake of utmp/wtmp we really
want to invent new infrastructure here. I mean, utmp/wtmp is kinda
crufty, and should probably go away sooner or later. If we do this then
the main reason should not be utmp/wtmp, but something else. cgroups
might be a convincing idea here.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.