[systemd-devel] what does systemd do if the syslogd errs on start?

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 01:45:28 PDT 2011

On 07/07/2011 08:28 AM, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> Let's make sure we are on the same line. Sequece of events:
>
> 1. systemd starts syslogd
> 2. syslogd parses config, detects errors
> 3. syslogd logs config errors via syslog()

Thus it sends them to /dev/log. No process is reading it, but
syslog.socket is active, and the messages are stored in the socket
buffer in the kernel.

> 4. syslogd terminates

Then systemd notices the traffic on syslog.socket and spawns the
associated service: systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service. The service receives
the buffered messages.

> Will that work? Note that at #3, syslogd has not yet terminated, so
> from a systemd POV it will probably look healthy.

I did not test exactly this case, but I expect it will work this way.

Michal