[systemd-devel] Fail Using 'After=network.target' In A Java-Based Service

Pat McDonough pat.mcdonough at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 16:45:29 PDT 2011

I'm trying to create a systemd service for a Java-based service and running into a networking error despite using "After=network.target"

Any suggestions as to which dependencies to use or whether this is working as expected?

The service fails during initial system start (6 times before giving up):
> [root at as7-04 ~]# systemctl --no-pager --failed | grep jboss
> jboss-as.service loaded failed failed JBoss Application Server Defa

With the following error [1]:
> ... Exception in thread "main" java.net.UnknownHostException: as7-04: as7-04

I can start it up without issue after the system is up:
> [root at as7-04 ~]# systemctl start jboss-as.service
> [root at as7-04 ~]# systemctl --no-pager | grep jboss
> jboss-as.service loaded active running JBoss Application Server D

My service [2]:
> After=basic.target
> After=network.target
> After=syslog.target