[systemd-devel] building with uClibc (was: minimal-uclibc: systemd fails with `src/manager.c:257:42: error: 'EPOLL_CLOEXEC' undeclared (first use in this function)`)

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Tue Jul 12 19:03:12 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 03:39, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 12.07.11 18:24, Khem Raj (raj.khem at gmail.com) wrote:

>> OK. If I may suggest you could probably standardize on posix rather than
>> glibc. This would make it easier for other libc. Glibc has certain extensions
>> which are not (yet) posix  and are used in systemd e.g %m format
>> extensions and mkostemp usage. But if systemd is strict in its scope
>> to only support glibc then it is a moot point.
>
> systemd uses numerous non-POSIX interfaces, we make use of a lot of
> Linux specific features, which is one reason we can do what we can
> do. We have no plans at all to limit ourselves to POSIX.

We actually use glib extensions only where POSIX is not sufficient,
hence there is no way to limit us to POSIX.

We need the open flags for _all_ operations which create a file
descriptor. Unlike %m, strerror() is not thread-safe, it should not be
used in anything that isn't guaranteed to be so simple that it will
never run into problems.

It's in almost all cases sensible to add these functions to other
libcs too, because they have the same problems they can not solve
properly otherwise, and which are fixed by these rather simple glibc
additions.

Kay