[systemd-devel] I'm moving from runit to systemd. Some questions...

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Sun Jul 17 04:27:31 PDT 2011

Hi *

I really like systemd concept and currently I'm in process of migrating
my Arch based home server form runit to systemd.
Regarding this I have some basic usage related questions.
If this is wrong place to ask this type of questions - forgive me and
pls hint me where is best place to ask.

1. How can I achieve have v.brief console info regarding what service
started OK and what was failed (sort of "systemctl --failed") but during
boot process. Currently I have "--systemv-console" as parameter in
systemd init cmd line - but this shows me only processing progress of
starting services but without any info about status.

2.My server has some services which are servers for other services.
e.g. proc1 is required to operate for proc2. Abort of proc1 requires
ordered restart of proc2 with given delay.
What is best method to achieve this ?
Currently my implementation is quite dumb:
-I'm terminating proc2 via proc1's ExecStartPost killall proc2
-proc2 have ExecStartPre with sleep <delay>
Issue with such approach is that I have always <delay> when proc2 starts.
Is there more elegant way to arrange this ?

3.My server has 3 volumes with data required by it's functions. My
current mount arrangement is following:
-I deleted related entries in fstab
-I add in "/etc/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants/<volume>.mount"
unit files with following content:

[Unit]
Description=<bla bla>
Before=<local-fs.target>

[Mount]
What=/dev/sdb1
Where=/<mount_point>

Such arrangement works OK but I didn't see support for auto fsck. Do I
miss something or auto-fsck needs some additions in above config ?

4. My target is to have system where I will have designated telinit
level to do fsck on all volumes and next continue with normal boot. What
will be best method to achieve such functionality ?

Thx in advance !