[systemd-devel] shutdown pivot to /run/initramfs

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Jul 21 16:56:51 PDT 2011

Hi guys,

I'm playing around with the new shutdown pivot mechanism (using v30),
and trying to make it work without using dracut (as Arch has its own
initramfs implementation). I ran across a problem related to
pivot_to_new_root(), and wondered if anyone could point me in the
right direction.

A minimal testcase is:

# mkdir /run/initramfs
# touch /run/initramfs/shutdown
# chmod +x /run/initramfs/shutdown
# systemctl reboot

I then get an assert in close_nointr_nofail() when pivot_to_new_root()
tries to close /dev/console. (This happens before we execv shutdown,
so it does not matter that shutdown is empty).

Is this expected behavior. If so, any ideas what I might be doing wrong here?

Cheers,

Tom