[systemd-devel] systemd and hostnamed (and nss-myhostname) - an alternative path

JB jerome at silentdome.com
Fri Jul 29 13:20:55 PDT 2011

After browsing through git I think I may have a viable solution to the
main issue of not being able to change that hostname before it is set at
boot time.

Move the logic from hostname-setup.c into hostnamed a hostnamed

Make a hostnamed --setfromfile option and use in in a
set-hostname.service file.

That would allow a user (me) to use ExecStartPre or to create another
unit and set a Before=set-hostname.service.  In this unit I can change
the /etc/hostname file before the hostname is set.

I know this may seem like a small issue but it is the only place so far
that I have found where systemd will not allow me to efficiently
configure something which I previously set via initscripts.

Thoughts?