[systemd-devel] Question on os-release

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jun 16 03:43:01 PDT 2011

On Thu, 16.06.11 11:58, Andreas Jaeger (aj at novell.com) wrote:

> > > The documentation says "lower-case string (mostly numeric)" but says
> > > nothing about spaces. If I should change it, please update the man page.
> >
> > Added that now to the man page.
>
> So, VERSION_ID should be:
> "12.1milestone1"?

Sounds good, yes.

> > > I was also thinking whether it makes sense to have a separate SUBVERSION
> > > information or whether that was overengineering ;)
> >
> > Unless we have a really good usecase I would avoid adding this for now.
>
> The handling of milestones, alphas, betas, rcs - see the above.

But is that really a "subversion"? At least to me a subversion is more
like an incremental upgrade to a release, but a beta/milestone is more
like a pre-version, right? In order to not having to think about too
much about pre-versions vs. subversions I'd rather stay out of the game
as long as we can... ;-)

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.