[systemd-devel] The behavious of systemctl [from fedora-devel]

Aaron Sowry aaron+rh at aeneby.se
Mon Jun 20 11:25:59 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 05:52:22PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I've been wanting to discuss the default behaviour of systemctl, which I began
> > doing on fedora-devel (see [1] for start of thread) before it was pointed out
> > that systemd-devel is probably a more appropriate place for
> > discussion.
>
> systemd-devel is definitely the more appropriate forum, however, I will
> respond with the same as I did on fedora-devel ;-)

I excpected nothing less; but it would be interesting to hear other opinions,
too.

> > - Column headers will be displayed on tty, but not otherwise. The assumption
> >   here seems to be that output to non-tty channels is not destined for human
> >   eyes. Currently, there is no way to force column headers on non-tty
> >   channels.
>
> We'll add an option for that, which people who hate this behaviour can
> then use via an alias.

"Seriously, if anybody suggests that the solution to the above problem is to add
a '--force-headers' flag, I think I'm going to start using Windows."

Oh dear. I hope nobody took me *too* seriously. I think I'll just settle for
bashing my head repeatedly against the keyboard.

Even with this alias in place, will I still get "full" output when piping
through my own pager? Or will there be yet another flag to disable this
behaviour as well?

/Aaron