[systemd-devel] Can't enable or start a new service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 20 15:43:11 PDT 2011

On Mon, 20.06.11 23:15, Sérgio Basto (sergio at serjux.com) wrote:

> Hi,

> > No
> > for
> > >
> > > I have now modified this message to show the full systemctl status
> > > command line.
> >
> > Thanks. I guessed that it wanted a unit. Unfortunately, the status
> > message didn't really help.
>
> I agree with  "Unfortunately, the status message didn't really help."
>
> Since we are talking about debug, I usually upgrade my fedora every
> release and can have system with more tow on Fedora 15 I got this
> systemd
>
> systemctl --all --full | grep -v loaded
> distcache.service         error  inactive dead          distcache.service
> hal.service               error  inactive dead          hal.service
> sysinit.service           error  inactive dead          sysinit.service
> tgtd.service              error  inactive dead          tgtd.service
> xend.service              error  inactive dead          xend.service
> abrtd.target              error  inactive dead          abrtd.target
> autofs.target             error  inactive dead          autofs.target
> cgconfig.target           error  inactive dead          cgconfig.target
> localfs.target            error  inactive dead          localfs.target
> remotefs.target           error  inactive dead          remotefs.target
> ypbind.target             error  inactive dead          ypbind.target
>
> for example :
> systemctl start distcache.service
> Failed to issue method call: Unit distcache.service failed to load: No
> such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for
> details.
>
> "No such file or directory" what file ?
> how I debug this ?

These units are referenced by other units (for example, because they
want to be ordered after or before them if both are installed), however
do not exist locally. That's why we cannot load them. To make this is
less confusing and surprising we do not show these units
normally. However you disabled that hiding explicitly with "--all", and
hence see these units too.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.