[systemd-devel] [RFC] systemd syslogd

Maarten Lankhorst m.b.lankhorst at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:45:06 PDT 2011

Hey William,

On 06/21/2011 06:50 AM, William Douglas wrote:
> Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> writes:
>
>> In general I must say that I actually like the code (and the coding
>> style) very much, so it's hard for me to say no to this.
>>
>> KUTGW,
>>
>> Lennart
> I understand your reasoning and, though I'm disappointed it doesn't look like this syslogd can make it into systemd, it will at least see some use in MeeGo.
>
> Also, thank you very much for looking through the code anyway! As this is probably the biggest hunk of C I've put together, I can use all the feedback I can get =).
If you want a small logger, can't you just build busybox with only syslogd?

/tmp/busybox-1.18.5$ ./busybox
BusyBox v1.18.5 (2011-06-22 00:41:45 CEST) multi-call binary.
Copyright (C) 1998-2009 Erik Andersen, Rob Landley, Denys Vlasenko
and others. Licensed under GPLv2.
See source distribution for full notice.

Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
   or: busybox --list[-full]
   or: function [arguments]...

        BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
        utilities into a single executable.  Most people will create a
        link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
        will act like whatever it was invoked as.

Currently defined functions:
        klogd, logger, logread, syslogd

size: 29k stripped with make allnoconfig and the above enabled.

~Maarten