[systemd-devel] systemd and swap

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Thu Jun 23 12:08:18 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 14:02, Michael Olbrich <m.olbrich at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> I'm getting "Failed to fully start up daemon: No such file or directory"
> when systemd starts.
> It took some time to track it down. Basically swap_enumerate() fails
> because /proc/swaps does not exist.
> Imho this is a valid use-case: This is an embedded system and swap makes no
> sense.

Sure, nothing in systemd should require swap support in the kernel.

Swap is kind of useless for the most common setups today. If we run
boxes that really start swapping, we have probably lost the game
already anyway.

> I'm not sure how to fix this, but I think swap should just be
> disabled in some way.

Try to check for errno == ENOENT and suppress it, instead of returning
it as an error in:
  src/swap.c::swap_enumerate()

Kay