[systemd-devel] systemd and swap

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 27 05:29:54 PDT 2011

On Thu, 23.06.11 14:02, Michael Olbrich (m.olbrich at pengutronix.de) wrote:

> Hi,

heya,

> I'm getting "Failed to fully start up daemon: No such file or directory"
> when systemd starts.
> It took some time to track it down. Basically swap_enumerate() fails
> because /proc/swaps does not exist.
> Imho this is a valid use-case: This is an embedded system and swap makes no
> sense. I'm not sure how to fix this, but I think swap should just be
> disabled in some way.

Yes, absolutely. We should be able to deal with swap-less systems. The
patch to fix this is probably very easy (just look for ENOENT when we
open /proc/swaps and consider it not an error, plus some checking for
m->proc_swaps here and there). I have now added this to the TODO
list. However, since I do not run kernels like this here I won't be able
to test this and hence am unlikely to fix this anytime soon. However,
I'd be happy to merge a patch if you (or somebody else) supply one.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.