[systemd-devel] encrypted /var with systemd - impossible?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 27 09:25:21 PDT 2011

On Mon, 27.06.11 17:04, yoshi watanabe (yoshi314 at gmail.com) wrote:

> my guess is that systemd populates /var before mounting it, and then
> mounts it over and some files are possibly lost. or maybe because the
> /var is empty before mount and that causes problems.

systemd is very careful in not using data from /usr or /var before it is
mounted. (After all we introduced /run just to be able to deal with this
kind of problems properly).

So, I doubt that systemd is really doing something wrong here, more
likely some other code involved in early boot is responsible. For
example, the device mapper libs might be trying to access /var/lock or
so. But that's just a guess.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.