[systemd-devel] Error: inappropriate ioctl stty standard input

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jun 29 06:52:20 PDT 2011

On Tue, 28.06.11 20:43, Stef Bon (stefbon at gmail.com) wrote:

> 2011/6/27 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> > On Sat, 25.06.11 21:57, Stef Bon (stefbon at gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've been able to make my shiny new LFS system boot using systemd, but
> >> still with errors. When the tty's are activated,
> >> Iget the message:
> >>
> >>  stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> >
> > This usually indicates that your standard input in this shell is not
> > actually a tty, but some other kind of fd. By doing "readlink
> > /proc/self/fd/0" you might be able to find out what your stdin is
> > connected to.
>
> Well,
> Ive been playing around with the kernel, I guess I had not selected
> the right options.
>
> I'm able to login after 6 seconds, in my Shutle Barebone, on a normal
> SATA harddisk.
>
> BUt still, after all the logmessages, there does not seem to happen
> anything, but when I do a newline, there appears the login. When I do
> something else, like a character and then enter, the password prompt
> appears.
>
> So the login is present, but not visible. I already see that the login
> appears, but that is overwritten by messages about bringing up tty and
> the network, which is a rc.d script.
>
> I thought it wat the getty prorgram, I've already swiched to mingetty,
> which by default clears the screen, but that did not help. I've also
> been playing around with logtarget=syslog, or console or null, it does
> not change.

As you noticed we spawn the gettys much earlier on systemd than they
have traditionally been started. This might cause output to be mixed
out. By using "quiet" or even a boot splash like Plymouth you can avoid
the confusing mix up of service status messages and the getty prompt.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.