[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 3 10:48:56 PST 2011

On Thu, 03.03.11 19:29, Tollef Fog Heen (tfheen at err.no) wrote:

> | The least you should do is add a warning about this to your release
> | notes.
>
> I'll forward that to the people responsible for the release notes.
>
> | The fact that most these things fail relatively gracefully should not
> | mislead you to believe that everything worked fine. Things still fail,
> | just not in a big gigantic atomic explosion scenario.
>
> Would it work better if /usr was an automounted target?

That would probably blow up in your face, since a lot of programs used
during early boot end up accessing /usr and would stay stuck, since they
try to use locale stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if mount itself is one
of those.

Oh, yeah, good luck moving locale stuff to /, btw. ;-)

And to support Plymouth fully you'd have to move all the plymouth ttf
stuff and so to / too.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.