[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 3 10:52:04 PST 2011

On Thu, 03.03.11 19:21, Tomasz Torcz (tomek at pipebreaker.pl) wrote:

> > But it's a promise you are making there that you cannot keep. If you
> > want to support /usr on a separate partition then you'd need to do all
> > the work and move the PCI and USB databases to /, move libatasmart,
> > fix udisks, fix D-Bus and so on.
> > The fact that most these things fail relatively gracefully should not
> > mislead you to believe that everything worked fine. Things still fail,
> > just not in a big gigantic atomic explosion scenario.
>
>   I don't get it. What during the boot (before /usr is mounted) require pci.db,
> usb ids, why udisks would be started?  I understand that full desktop session
> need access to those, but we are talking about short window before starting
> system and mounting /usr.  What will break?  Are the some udev rules needing
> mapping between PCI ID and a name?  Anything else?

Well, udisks needs some rules inudev to be run to check if smart and
similar things are available. If that fails tehn udisks will not be able
to offer you support for these features.

I mean, again, things mostly fail gracefully. If you consider "graceful
failure" a synomym for "hey, this works perfectly", then well, be my
guest... ;-)

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.