[systemd-devel] Dynamic generators (after systemd start)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 11:38:35 PST 2011

Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) said:
> > I am not sure I am such a big fan of reimplementing NetworkManager...
>
> It has nothing to do with reimplementing NM. There is large number of
> possible ifcfg configuration that NM still does not support; nor is NM
> always used and desirable (why would you really need it on a
> unattended server with static network?) In this case having
> per-interface unit simply gives better overview and manageability
> under systemd (and it may deduce a couple of milliseconds from startup
> time :)

<initscripts maintainer hat on>

Given what most people who use the network service in RHEL/Fedora use
it for, I'm not sure moving to this ... less centralized (?) .. method
is consistent with what they're comfortable with. Furthermore, tying
it to specific net devices (when what they want might be bridging, bonding,
vlans, etc.) isn't quite accurate.

That being said - you mentioned what to do on hotplug; honestly, I've
been tossing around just taking that bit out; for that, if you want it,
run NM/ifplugd/whatever.

Bill