[systemd-devel] [PACKAGERS] rsyslog and systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Mar 11 07:55:28 PST 2011

On Fri, 11.03.11 09:15, Mike Kazantsev (mk.fraggod at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 23:49:45 +0100
> Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>
> > Heya,
> >
> > in the past weeks a couple of folks have been asking about the rsyslog
> > and systemd glue in systemd, and I never responded since this was still
> > work in progress. Things should be all resolved now, so here's a
> > heads-up in how things should work now:
> >
> > I have just sent a patch to rsyslog upstream:
> >
> > http://0pointer.de/public/0001-systemd-use-standard-syslog.socket-unit.patch
>
> Is there any reason why it resorts to "ExecStartPre=/bin/systemctl
> stop ..." instead of just using "Conflicts=systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service"?
>
> Both seem to equally work for me, but I wonder if there's some subtle
> pitfall in Conflicts= for this case, so you avoid to use it.

They do different things.

The bootup transaction covers the entire boot. If you use Conflicts=
then only one of the to syslog implementations can be part of it, and
the other is removed. However we want both syslogs to be part of the
transaction, and both started, one during early boot and one during late
boot. Hence we allow both in the transaction, but modify the transaction
later on when rsyslog is ready to start.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.