[systemd-devel] Special targets - should they Want or be WantedBy?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Mar 16 17:04:35 PDT 2011

On Wed, 16.03.11 14:39, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:

> > Or is rsyslog expected to provide a symlink in syslog.target.wants?
> >

> This is really orthogonal. As Lennart commented, it may be sensible to
> do both. But this symlink does not ensure syslog is actually started
> before syslog.target.

Well, actually there is.

If DefaultDependencies= is "yes" (which it is by default) for target
units then they'll automatically gain an After= for all untis they have
Wants= or Requires= on.

(We currently do not document what DefaultDependencies= actually means
for the specific unit types. We probably should...)

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.