[systemd-devel] cryptosetup units must have timeout

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Mar 16 17:17:22 PDT 2011

On Sat, 19.02.11 10:14, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> [root at localhost ~]# systemctl status cryptsetup at secrets.service
> cryptsetup at secrets.service - Cryptography Setup for secrets
>           Loaded: loaded
> (/dev/.systemd/generator-ImgwKs/cryptsetup at secrets.service)
>           Active: activating (start) since Mon, 21 Feb 2011 21:21:48
> -0500; 11min ago
>         Main PID: 670 (systemd-cryptse)
>           CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cryptsetup at .service/secrets
>                   └ 670 /lib/systemd/systemd-cryptsetup attach secrets /de...
> [root at localhost ~]# date
> Mon Feb 21 21:33:23 EST 2011
>
> Well, the problem is, these units are appeared to be stuck forever in
> activating state even if user never supplied password; and in this
> case the block shutdown for 3 minutes. Which is not good.

There was a bug in the password query logic which miscalculated the time
to sleep and hung forever. This has been fixed a while back.

You can configure with timeout=xxx in the crypttab file how long we
shall wait for a specific password. The default is 1min, and I just
changed that to 3 min as default, to sync the time we wait for devices
to show up with the time we wait for passwords to be entered.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.