[systemd-devel] "Inactive/dead" services that are enabled are indistinguishable from unused or oneshot services

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 00:52:46 PDT 2011

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:52:21 +0300
Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar at mail.ru> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Something like "systemctl --enabled" would certainly be much more
> > useful for such cases than the current "systemctl --all", yet
> > there will still be a lot of "oneshot" stuff, which are supposed to be
> > dead, so a separate state for "!oneshot && enabled && exited" services
> > like "stopped" (in place of "inactive") and maybe a view like "systemctl
> > --stopped" would be of a great help from my sysadmin's perspective.
> >
> > I understand that there's already a looong TODO, but maybe it's possible
> > to cram such systemctl view option(s) somewhere in that list?
> >

> I was vaguely thinking about adding generic selection option to
> replace current ad-hoc ones, something like
>
> --state=enabled,!exited
>
> or even allowing generic filtering on specific property, like
>
> --query Type=socket,dbus
>
> The latter is probably the way to go as it can be used to implement
> any custom query. And add better output format control of course :) It
> just needs some proper, but not too complicated, syntax.
>
> Is it good enough for TODO?

I think it'd be great, although syntax could be problematic indeed if
"and" and "or" logic would be implemented.

Simpliest (from my pov) thing that comes to mind is perl / bash /
libpcap / etc syntax like "rule1 && ( rule2 || rule3 ) && ! rule4",
disallowing multiple values for the sake of unity (i.e. "Type=socket ||
Type=dbus" instead of "Type=socket,dbus").

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net