[systemd-devel] "Inactive/dead" services that are enabled are indistinguishable from unused or oneshot services

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Mar 17 15:04:20 PDT 2011

On Thu, 17.03.11 09:52, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at mail.ru) wrote:
> > I understand that there's already a looong TODO, but maybe it's possible
> > to cram such systemctl view option(s) somewhere in that list?
> >

> I was vaguely thinking about adding generic selection option to
> replace current ad-hoc ones, something like
>
> --state=enabled,!exited

! on the sell is always a bit weird. But this might be a good idea to
have.

> or even allowing generic filtering on specific property, like
>
> --query Type=socket,dbus

Hmm, having this would make systemctl almost an SQL database ;-)

I think we should try to figure out what exactly we need, instead of
losing ourselves in inventing new matching languages. systemctl already
has quite a long man page, and I'd prefer if it wouldnt become a novel.

Maybe one option would be to introduce it as seperate 'systemd-query'
tool or so?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.