[systemd-devel] systemd, getty and udev

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Mar 21 04:56:12 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:26, Michael Olbrich <m.olbrich at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> I've been playing with systemd. So far I have been unable to get a login
> prompt. The problem is this:
>
> [...]
> systemd[1]: Job dev-ttyAMA0.device/start timed out.
> systemd[1]: Job dev-ttyAMA0.device/start finished, result=timeout
> systemd[1]: Job serial-getty at ttyAMA0.service/start finished, result=dependency
> [...]
>
> /dev/ttyAMA0 exists. But dev-ttyAMA0.device is never finished. I looked at
> the code, and I think udev is supposed to trigger this, right?
> However, udevd is never started. And I couldn't find anything related to
> starting udevd.

Udev needs to install native systemd service files? It does that when
built with systemd installed, or when configured like that.
  $ ls -l /lib/systemd/system/udev*.service
  Mar 15 18:33 /lib/systemd/system/udev.service
  Mar 15 18:33 /lib/systemd/system/udev-settle.service

Also add:
  systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg
to the kernel commandline to get all debugging output if needed.

Kay