[systemd-devel] Improve boot-time of systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 28 12:57:18 PDT 2011

On Thu, 24.03.11 10:20, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri (barbieri at profusion.mobi) wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar at mail.ru> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM, fykcee1 at gmail.com <fykcee1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> I prefer to start UI first, and then UI notifies systemd to start more services.
> >> The original boot sequence seems server-oriented, and I need
> >> desktop-oriented boot sequence -- let most services start AFTER a
> >> usable basic UI popup.
> >>

> > KDM/GDM get really confused when host name changes after they are
> > started. And I have seen complaints that displayed host name is wrong.
> > So it probably should depend at least on network being available.
>
> That is stupid, as the hostname may change due lots of reasons, maybe
> you wifi changed and now you got another home domain from dhcp? What
> would they do?

X does hostname based auth. It's seriously broken. In fact, almost
everything is broken in this context: A) dhcp should not modify the
local hostname. B) X shouldn't be so retarded to use literal host name
strings for authentication purposes. C) KDM shouldn't set up xauth that
way.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.