[systemd-devel] Parallel startup with sockets and without killing the machine?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue May 10 08:58:02 PDT 2011

On Mon, 09.05.11 19:52, Scott James Remnant (scott at netsplit.com) wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <
> barbieri at profusion.mobi> wrote:
>

> >> Well, right now let's make clear that Firefox/Chromium or other X clients
> >> won't be started by systemd as they are user session applications, and
> >> systemd itself will just deal with system context (ie: up to GDM/KDM...).
> >>

> > Really?
>
> A major feature of systemd I understood was that it would also manage user
> sessions as a seamless part of boot along with the system session. Is that
> not the case?

Right now you can run systemd as the user, and it will startup and work
fine. Which is very handy for debugging purposes. However, we have not
integrated that with D-Bus or GNOME or anything yet. This is something
we want to do for F16:

http://lwn.net/Articles/441328/

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.