[systemd-devel] Communicating need

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Thu May 12 23:57:02 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <
barbieri at profusion.mobi> wrote:

> Well, maybe you didn't get the activation part or you're trolling :-)
>
> Neither...

> As I said in my mail about the bluetooth part, the problem with kernel
> modules is that "you don't know what's in there until you look in there". If
> you don't have usb subsystem you can't know an usb sound card may be there
> :-D Same for audio device on bluetooth on usb, etc.
>
> But if you have a USB subsystem, you *do* know what the devices are before
that tells you what kind of thing it is.

And while upstart was indeed all about "events" (at least 3 years ago it
> was), systemd provides multiple ways to handle services, not just socket
> activation, but timers, various conditionals (paths, directories...) and
> events. You used to force one direction in the graph, we offer both.
>
> You appear to be confusing my mails with someone who isn't genuinely of the
opinion that Upstart doesn't work,  and is trying to gather information
about the other kid in town to see whether that solves problems he's
encountered since.

Scott