[systemd-devel] Problems with setting up systemd

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 04:56:48 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 12:31 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 20.05.11 11:03, Maciej Piechotka (uzytkownik2 at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > Hello. I tried to set up systemd on Gentoo and I've run into several
> > problems:
> >
> > 1. I have custom init in which I initialise lvm by:
> >
> > /bin/lvm vgchange -ay <my_vg>
> >
> > In /etc/fstab I have devices mentioned by UUID. During boot systemd
> > complains that fsck.ext2 cannot find /dev/<my_vg>/root. If I use dracut
> > it works but running dracut takes as long as my whole boot with OpenRC
> > so I would prefer to not migrate
>
> You need to ensure to place this service file after udev-settle.service

What is the correct way of doing it?

> > 2. systemd have problems when I have clock in UTC. I use laptop and due
> > to relatively frequent change of TZ I use UTC clock. I don't have
> > problems with OpenRC but on systemd the 'last mount is in the future'
> > each time I boot.
>
> systemctl enable hwclock-load.service

# systemctl enable hwclock-load.service
Cannot link /lib64/systemd/system/hwclock-load.service
to /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/hwclock-load.service,
symlink exists already and points
to /lib/systemd/system/hwclock-load.service.

In OpenRC scripts the flag --utc is used. I'll try to add it manually.

> > 3. systemd appears to work very slow. After displaying output of fsck it
> > waits some time (roughly whole previous boot by OpenRC) and display
> > option to emergency drop to shell or continue to default. I haven't
> > configured systemd services (which was my error) but I guess it should
> > not take so long. Is it possible to turn on verbose mode to check what's
> > wrong?
>
> If the LVM device above doesn't show up systemd will have to timeout for
> 90s.

I think I know where's problem. But could systemd print something about
timeout.

> Lennart

Regards