[systemd-devel] udev took too long to start

Chen Jie chenj at lemote.com
Sun May 22 20:38:25 PDT 2011

2011/5/20 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> On Fri, 20.05.11 17:40, Chen Jie (chenj at lemote.com) wrote:

>> > I updated systemd(to v26) and udev(to 168), still got ~1s startup time
>> > of udev.service plus udev-trigger.service.
>> >
>> > May be some distribution added udev rules cause this? I'll do a
>> > bootchart to see the detail.
>> See the attachment.
>
> There are a ton of things udev seems to be calling. A lot of it doesn't
> look right. i.e. systemctl being called from udev doesn't look
> right. And ps? grep? hdparm?? sync??? alsa-utils looks wrong too? mount?
Did some investigation, here is the result:
1. grep is invoked by 80-networking.rules, which is added to help to
parse debian's network setting.
-- "dpkg -S /lib/udev/net.agent" -> udev: /lib/udev/net.agent

2. hdparm is called by z60_hdparm.rules, imported by deb package hdparm.
-- z60_hdparm.rules is a symbol link to /etc/udev/hdparm.rules

3. alsa-utils is called by 80-alsa.rules, imported by deb package alsa-utils.
-- "dpkg -S /lib/udev/alsa-utils" -> alsa-utils: /lib/udev/alsa-utils

4. mount is called by 50-udev-default.rules, I guess it was shipped
with vanilla udev, since the same rule exists on my gentoo box...
-- 50-udev-default.rules:102:  RUN+="/bin/mount -t fusectl fusectl
/sys/fs/fuse/connections"