[systemd-devel] Chicken and egg problem when building a systemd enabled system

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Thu May 26 04:38:04 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 11:31, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/26 Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net>:
>> When building a complete system from scratch, especially in a crosscompile environment there is a chicken and egg problem:
>>
>> systemd needs dbus and udev to buid, but dbus and udev only install systemd files when system has been built.
>>
>> I'd like to confirm that passing '--with-systemdsystemunitdir' to udev and dbus will fix this.
>
> Yeah, this is fine.
> FWIW, we build the Debian dbus and udev packages with
> --with-systemdsystemunitdir=/lib/systemd/system

Right, --with-systemdsystemunitdir= does not introduce any build
dependency. It just tells D-Bus/udev build where to put the simple
text files. D-Bus/udev do not link against systemd code, no need to
compile twice.

We might introduce a libsd-daemon.so some day in the future, which
will require a two-step bootstrap compile -- but nothing of this is
needed today.

Kay