[systemd-devel] PATCH: do not run fsck on tmpfs mountpoint

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Nov 2 04:15:29 PDT 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:21, Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at suse.com> wrote:
> Le mardi 01 novembre 2011 à 16:54 +0100, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
>> On Thu, 27.10.11 16:19, Frederic Crozat (fcrozat at suse.com) wrote:
>>
>> > You really don't want to fsck a tmpfs, even if passno is non-null (it
>> > was causing many issue, forcing system to go to emergency).
>>
>> Hmm, I wonder if this is the right fix. I wonder what fsck -a does if it
>> finds a passno != 0 for an entry where /sbin/fsck.xxx. If that fails on
>> it we should probably do so too. If it silently ignores passno != 0
>> where the fsck is missing then we probably should implement a similar
>> logic. However doing an explicit check for tmpfs sounds wrong to me:
>> there are other fs where fsck makes little sense, and we would have to
>> either check them all or none?
>
> I've just checked fsck code :
> - it has a list of "ignore" filesystems :

Please let's not start copying that stuff, fsck is hardly an example
how things should be done today. Such lists can never be up-to-date,
and they are not today.

I guess, if such broken configs should be supported, which I'm really
not sure about, fsck itself should be made to find that out and return
successful without doing anything. Such things should not be guarded
in systemd with just another static blacklist.

Not sure if there are valid use cases, maybe we are able to skip all
mounts which are not backed by a device, where major(s.st_rdev) == 0?

Kay