[systemd-devel] systemd kills mdmon if it was started manually by user

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Nov 2 08:29:13 PDT 2011

On Wed, 02.11.11 16:21, Kay Sievers (kay.sievers at vrfy.org) wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 16:17, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > Kernel threads we detect by checking whether /proc/$PID/cmdline is
> > empty, hence I'd suggest we use the first char of argv[0][0] here, to
> > detect whether something is a process to avoid killing. Question is
> > which char to choose for that. I am tempted to use '@'.
>
> Maybe introduce a 'initramfs' cgroup and move the pids there?

Well, in which hierarchy? I am a bit concerned about having other
subsystems muck with the systemd cgroup hierarchy, before systemd has
set it up.

I can see some elegance in having all code from the initrd that remains
running during boot in a cgroup of its own, but that's probably
orthogonal to finding a way to recognize processes not to kill at
shutdown. Why? Because there's stuff like Plymouth which also stays
around from the initramfs, but actually is something we *do* want to
kill on shutdown.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.