[systemd-devel] systemd diagnostics

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 21 19:36:06 PST 2011

Hello all,

We are currently hacking and clawing our way through systemd for all of our
legacy services, and there are a number of usability enhancements that would be useful, but
we are unsure if they exist.  If these do not exist, it would be very useful if
they became available.

1. Newline separated property information.  When I run
'systemctl show -p "Wants" basic.target' I get a space-separated list of
targets.  This is pretty annoying, it would be great for it to be newline
separated.  Maybe another command for this use-case of inspecting
dependencies.  (It's also pretty confusing to tell whether or not I want
Before or Wants.)

2. Dependency chasing for "Wants".  If I enable some systemd service,
I would like to know all of the extra services it spins up.  systemd --test --system
doesn't really do what I would like here.  I actually want something more like
iterated 'show -p "Wants".

3. Listing enabled services.  We should not have to write horrible
scripts like this:

    for SERVICE in `systemctl -t service --full --all list-units | awk '{
    print $1 }'`; do
        echo -n "$SERVICE:  "
        if systemctl is-enabled $SERVICE; then
            echo ENABLED
        else
            echo disabled
        fi
    done 2>/dev/null

4. Fedora 15 shutdown does not give any messages to the console (my coworkers
tell me this is a funny Plymouth interaction.)  Did this get fixed later on,
or do we need to do something else?

We're quite excited about systemd, but it's still got a lot of work needed.
We hope that we can help improve things.

Thanks,
Edward