[systemd-devel] User Login and custom .service file

Malte Brandy malte.brandy at maralorn.de
Thu Nov 24 19:50:06 PST 2011

Lennart Poettering <lennart <at> poettering.net> writes:
> On Mon, 01.08.11 13:31, George Stefan (stefan.george87 <at> gmail.com) wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a system configuration that requests the possibility of having
> > multiple users. Does systemd allow us to have a path (like
> > /lib/systemd/system) custom to each user? By this i mean something like
> > "/home/user/systemd" where to have the associate .service/target/etc placed.
> What you can do already is run a per-user instance of systemd, where the
> user can add his services. This is not complete yet, but it should
> already get you quite far.

Hello, im probably breaking quite a lot of mail list rules be this mail.
Especially because its quite old...
But this is problem driving me crazy for quite a while. But first I must say,
that I love systemd.
I use systemd --user and it's awesome. I start my xorg, my syncmail, mpd, etc.

> To make use of this use "systemd-loginctl
> enable-linger lennart" (for a user lennart). This will make sure that a
> systemd instance is automatically started at boot for this
> user.

This just wont work for me:
sudo systemd-loginctl enable-linger maralorn
Failed to issue method call: Failed to execute program
/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success

> This is implemented via a service user <at> lennart.service which is
> instantiated for each user and runs a per-user systemd.
I already tried modifiying this service in some ways but without success.
I can start it like user <at> maralorn.service, but when I try
systemctl --user
I get:
Failed to issue method call: Process /bin/false exited with status 1
I figure this is a problem with dbus and sessions but I'm not sure.

As a workaround I start the
systemd --user from an already established tty session.
> As mentioned, this isn't complete yet, so ymmv.
I know, but i think my problem is not unsolvable...

Greetings Malte

Archlinux Kernel 3.1
Systemd 37 and some previous.