[systemd-devel] F16_64: attempt at OpenVPN server service file

Michael D. Berger m.d.berger at ieee.org
Sat Nov 26 14:39:55 PST 2011

So I gather that Restart is triggered only if the process
goes away ***for reasons other than a stop having been issued***.
I suggest that the man pages be modified to say that.

[...]
> because i have no idea what this does
>
> > I have a complex iptables that must be changed a little
> depending on
> > whether the vpn is running.  The command "setIptVpn"
> > runs a sed to takes care of that, and obviously, iptables must be
> > restarted whenever that is done.
>
> why?
>
> if the bridge and openvpn are not running the devide does not
> exist, so why is there anything to modify in firewall rules?

The details are not important; it should work, and it idoes n my scripts
that run without systemd.

> > As for restarting the network, that appears to usually (but not
> > always) be required whenever the vpn is shutdown.  If there
> is another
> > way to get things working after shutting down vpn, I would
> be happy to
> > hear it.  I tried ifdown and ifup, but it didn't work.
> > Did you try to ping google.com after your vpn starts on boot?
> > I see no difference between yours and mine that would solve that
> > problem.  I imagine that another dependency is required.
>
> i am not sure what excatly you are doing with openvpn
>
> in my case i connect to the company network and all traffic
> to company-LÖAN-IPs goes thorugh the tunnel, BUT all other
> traffic does NOT use openvpn because why in the world i
> should route public traffic over a vpn-tunnel and from there
> out in the world?

It doesn't make any difference what I am doing.  I run openvpn
as a daemon on a box that must otherwise function normally.
In SysV, corresponding scripts work with no problem.  I guess
I should run openvpn as SysV until this can be made to work.

Mike.
--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger at ieee.org