[systemd-devel] Seeking Advice on debugging failure to reboot

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.com
Thu Oct 6 10:26:21 PDT 2011

On Thursday 06 October 2011 15:56:43 Barry Scott wrote:
> We can reproducably get an F15 system in a state that it fails to
> complete a reboot.
>
> Becuase all the logging, network and getty's has been stopped all
> we can see is the kernel messages on the console.
>
> What we need to know is why systemd is not completing the reboot.
>
> What advice do you have on how to debug this situation please?
>
> Barry

We have got a bit further along using netconsole to see the kmsg
after systemd turns off syslog.

The obvious difference between a reboot that works and one that
fails is that I see these lines in the good case:

[  135.391206] systemd[1]: final.target changed dead -> active
[  135.391217] systemd[1]: Job final.target/start finished, result=done
[  135.391249] systemd[1]: About to execute: /bin/systemctl --force reboot

But this never happens in the bad case.

How do I track down why final.target is not activated?

Barry