[systemd-devel] Fwd: Re: Seeking Advice on debugging failure to reboot

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Thu Oct 6 12:03:24 PDT 2011

Sorry, inadvertently left off the ML.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] Seeking Advice on debugging failure to reboot
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 15:01:30 -0400
From: Clyde E. Kunkel <clydekunkel7734 at cox.net>
To: Barry Scott <barry.scott at onelan.com>

On 10/06/2011 01:26 PM, Barry Scott wrote:
> On Thursday 06 October 2011 15:56:43 Barry Scott wrote:
>> We can reproducably get an F15 system in a state that it fails to
>> complete a reboot.
>>
>> Becuase all the logging, network and getty's has been stopped all
>> we can see is the kernel messages on the console.
>>
>> What we need to know is why systemd is not completing the reboot.
>>
>> What advice do you have on how to debug this situation please?
>>
>> Barry

> We have got a bit further along using netconsole to see the kmsg
> after systemd turns off syslog.
>
> The obvious difference between a reboot that works and one that
> fails is that I see these lines in the good case:
> ..
> [  135.391206] systemd[1]: final.target changed dead ->  active
> [  135.391217] systemd[1]: Job final.target/start finished, result=done
> [  135.391249] systemd[1]: About to execute: /bin/systemctl --force reboot

> But this never happens in the bad case.

> How do I track down why final.target is not activated?
>
> Barry

FWIW, when I modprobe netconsole in F15, 16, or 17 to send syslog msgs
to a remote machine, I have to hit the reset switch to reboot or power
switch to shutdown.  The last msg seen on the offending machine is:

[nnnn:nnnn] ehci_hcd 0000:00:ld.7: PCI INT A disabled

where nnnn:nnnn is the time sequence which varies.  The msg is not seen
on the remote logger.

Not bz'd yet, trying to gain more understanding of what is controlling
at this point:  systemd or something else.

--
Regards,
OldFart